- Business branding
- Marketing Message
- Marketing Strategy
Let's get started with the basics!
Before you start marketing your business you need to know:
- Who is your customer?
- What is your brand strategy?
- What is your marketing message?
We've also included links to recommended reading if you want to learn more. By the way, if you come across any marketing jargon, and wonder what on earth we're talking about, we've created a helpful glossary for you!
KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER
What is a customer profile?
A customer profile – also known as a buyer persona – is a description of a fictional person who represents a group of your most important customers.
Once you have created your customer profiles, you and your team can understand your customers better, make smarter day-to-day decisions based on real customer needs, target the right customers and communicate with them in meaningful ways and design service improvements or new products that deliver what customers want.
How do you create powerful profiles?
Effective profiles need to be based on real data that’s as detailed as possible. Interview your sales team and target customers. Talk to customers who have recently purchased from you and some who decided not to.
When interviewing try to make it more like a conversation than an interrogation. Make sure to find out ‘why’. For example: Do you buy from our website? No. Why not? I can’t use it. What’s the problem? You can only pay by credit card and we don’t have company credit cards. Focus on listening!
For example, Buzz Marketing has different customer groups, each with a profile to assist our customer service.
- Start up company (sole trader or small team) needing new branding, new website and digital marketing plan.
Usually limited budget so want to do as much themselves as possible.
Looking for advice and guidance on what to start with.
- Established company (5-10 staff) wanting to update their branding, refresh their website and invest in a comprehensive marketing strategy.
Have allocated a marketing budget and want to save time by outsourcing the work.
Customer profile template: click, download, print and fill one out per customer group.
Introducing marketing guru - Simon Sinek.
Every business or organisation knows what they do, some know how they do it, but very few know why they do what they do. Simon Sinek explains that people don't buy what you do but why you do it using examples like Apple, the Wright brothers and Dr Martin Luther King. Watch this video from start to finish, it really is worth your time.
Why does branding matter?
Your brand is everything your business is, says and does. It includes how you visually and verbally communicate, your values and how you want your customers to feel when they interact with any aspect of your business.
Rebranding is an opportunity to refresh!
Worried about rebranding? See a fantastic example of updating a 60 year old logo aimed to engage a new audience. Look how versatile the new Heart&Stroke logo is.
Keep your Marketing Message honest! See the original article for more information.
Fill in this blank plan, refer to the email for the guidelines, here are some tips to help you:
- Start jotting ideas on a whiteboard or fill in using a pencil - you're not going to get it right first time!
- Use personal language - start sentences with "I, you, we, your, our", as though you are speaking to one person.
- Get someone else involved to bounce around ideas and avoid road block .
- Start with the easy stuff. Jot down all your ideas ( no idea is bad!), then return to relook, rethink and rewrite.